Sunday 27 September 2015

Why a Foundation?

I have not been writing many blog posts lately, mostly because I have been busy with other stuff, including the running of our foundation.

I just wanted to give you a glimpse into why I started Courtland's Hope Foundation.

When Courtland was around 2, we found out he had Cerebral Palsy. He was not reaching the expected milestones of sitting up, crawling, trying to walk, or talk. I didn't know what to do, or where to go for help.

We wanted him to excel, and to do so, he needed some medical equipment, specifically a walker. We went through Alberta Aids to Daily Living, and found out that we would be responsible to pay $500 of the cost of the walker. (the original price is around $4000, but the portion we had to pay was $500). We didn't have the money....... Unfortunately, that had to be put on our credit card. Then, I got thinking, we only have one child and we can't afford $500, what about families who have a few children, are trying to provide food, shelter, clothing, and they have mortgage and car payments? Where do they get the money from, and where do they go to get help in paying for that stuff?

I thought about for a while, and it really bothered me. One day, I don't know the date, but I remember very clearly, that I was driving around and suddenly I had this thought... "You need to start a foundation for people in the same position as you were." I came home and told my husband, and we began the ground work for "Courtland's Hope Foundation." We called it that after our son Courtland, because he has given us so much hope, and we knew that it would be his hope that children with disabilities would have access to medical equipment.

Starting this was quite a process. There is a lot of government paperwork! I assembled a group of people who shared in my vision, and they became our board members.

To date, we have helped children with Cerebral Palsy, Down's Syndrome, some not yet diagnosed global development delays, a child with a 4q duplication, and  a teenager with Muscular Dystrophy. There are always challenges in taking on something like this, but the rewards far outweigh the challenges. We continue to help kids, and soon we will be expanding to provide a support group for families who have disabled children.

Courtland's HOPE Foundation is here for you! Keep on hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment