Tuesday 21 July 2015

Innovative New Stuff


I saw an article a few days ago about a young man who has a disability and wanted to go to college, however, he was embarrassed because he is unable to tie his shoes independently. I suspect this is the case for many people who have disabilities. Courtland is 8, and he does not have the fine motor function to be able to tie his shoes. Tying a shoe is something (we who can do it) take for granted. Think about all the steps involved…..

This young man wrote a letter to Nike and they were so moved, that they decided to make a shoe that he could get on independently, and not have to tie. You can read the article if you are interested.


Though I am excited about this, and what it means for kids and adults with disabilities, I see a few potential problems. Like, I have looked everywhere for these shoes, even http://www.nike.com/ca/en_gb/  and I can’t find them. The article mentions that they will only be available for a limited time, and I suspect the price will be hefty (If I could find a price).

I have also found a website called Firefly- http://www.fireflyfriends.com/  they are a British company that makes aids such as the upsee, which helps kids who are immobile to walk with their parents. Again, being that this is an overseas company (and extremely innovative) their products come at a great price (the product cost itself, plus the cost of international shipping).

I can’t quite understand why everything made to make the life of a disabled person easier, has to cost so much money.  I want my child to have everything that will make his life less difficult; unfortunately, I don’t have the financial means to do so. This is why I started Courtland’s Hope Foundation. I want families to be able to give their children everything that they will need to live a full and happy life in spite of the challenges that they may face.

There is NO SHAME in asking for help. Courtland’s Hope Foundation exists to ease the financial burden of expensive medical equipment.  If you have a child with a disability, and are unable to address his/her medical needs due to lack of financial resources, please contact us.

Additionally, this is an effort we cannot accomplish alone.  If this is an issue that touches your heart and you would like to help, (financially or otherwise, please visit our website at www.courtlandshope.org) Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment